Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Thought I Was Done Taking Math Classes!!!!!

Guess Not! 
I promised Lynn I'd be working on the Country Corners BOM along with her Sew'n Wild Oaks class members...or Oakies as I've decided to call them!  Today was the day I could finally focus on narrowing my fabric selections and get to work!
Now, I was never a Math Whiz in school...my girls yes...their Mama no!  However, as years have gone by I've realized that I retained a bit more than some of my classmates.  Some of that could be that I was a quiet shy semi-studious kid in the '70's...
while others were hanging out in the parking lot...
 
I sometimes get glared at when I do a quick sum in my noggin' at work, whilst others are utilizing their computer...or digital calculators...also known as fingers.  I will admit to a few misfigured calculations in the check register, but I do not require the app on my phone to figure the appropriate tip.  I was also pretty quick and accurate in tallying up our team scoresheets each week, way back when I bowled on a league!  In spite of the name I came up with for our team, I've done okay. Our league was called Flower Power...and while other teams politely dubbed themselves after favorite flowers, Rosebuds, Snapdragons, Petunias and such, the four of us proclaimed ourselves "The Bloomin' Idiots!" 
But I digress...the topic here is math and quilting and how it's amazing that I quilt, because my math grades stunk & I despised geometry!  I'd have loved being an architect if I could've hired someone else to do the math!
Because this class involves petting fabric and ignoring the dishes, I'm having a positively lovely time.  I'm sitting here with my very own treasured & autographed copy of Lynn Wilders
humming the William Tell Overture, and smugly arranging all kinds of cute blocks. 

The fabric I'm using is, for the most part, ancient, 20 to 25 years old, rescued from the recent dive & declutter project in our garage or unearthed in the Underground Stash Storage Unit.

First one must make their components and arrange them in an organized fashion to admire.

After suitable time spent in admiration, perhaps 5 seconds, I began arranging & came up with the following, rather quickly, without sneaking peeks at any of the arrangements that Lynn has posted at Sew'n Wild Oaks! 
 
So, here I am, having a "Look Mom!  No Hands!" moment!
Hang On! Here We Go!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

These are merely 14 arrangements that I came up with very quickly...I know there are more...so I play some more, & get some input from the resident non-professionals before I decide which is my favorite!

 If only kids realized that math could be so much fun!

From the Kid in Me!

~Nancie Anne

6 comments:

  1. You came up with some great combinations Nancy! Math doesn't appear to be a problem for you at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little heavy on the mini floral prints though...planning to calm it down with a tonal in place of the eight 2x2s! Thank you for putting together this book! It should be in every quilters toolbox!

      Delete
  2. Your blocks look fabulous. I must get that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join us! Just click on the book title and it will take you directly to the ordering info!

      Delete
  3. It is amazing how the block can change so much. All of them are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I just made my first components but haven't put them together yet, so I had no idea there were so many options!! I guess I'll have fun playing too!! And as a side note, I saw that you posted that you've been to the quilt show in Kuna: my Dad lived there from about 10 years old to about 25 yrs old, and many family members are buried in the Kuna cemetary. My Dad's parents moved to a farm near Marsing in about the 1950's, I was born in Caldwell, and I spent every summer vacation in the Nampa area while I was growing up. Where are you located? I still go up there every few years to visit what family I have that is still up there. I love it there!! Thanks for posting all your block options, and have a great week!!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg (in Calif)

    ReplyDelete