Monday, June 29, 2015

Flutter By, Butterfly!

Finally finished!  I'm scratching this UFO off my list and it went into the hands of the birthday girl yesterday!  I started this for her several years ago, and she's no longer that little teenager, but she loves it still!  I'm trying really hard to follow your advice Lynn, and be a good Finisher!

On the other hand...what kind of ditzy person gifts someone a quilt on a 106 degree day?????

"Nobody can see, until I'm done reading the label"
If nothing else, this girl of mine understands the importance of documenting.  I'm not sure that she would accept a quilt 'til the "paperwork" was done!
The label itself was pretty much one entire day...I resized the design I've started putting on all my labels...then I had to pick just the right words to say, then do the freezer paper on fabric thing and run it through the printer, and heat set it...and trim it...and heat set it again... put a border on it...and heat set it again...then carefully pin it on smooth any wrinkles and stitch it down.
Parenting 101...
"Be Detailed Oriented, I Said,
Be Employable, I Said...
People Will Appreciate That, I Said!"
"Oh the back is so colorful"
 
The panel in the center of the back was from a shop hop goody bag.
 
 
Love that smile!
"I'm going to hug it and squeeze it and take it home!"
The quilter now has free motion swirls down pat!  Just what the owner asked for!
Buggy Barn's Butterfly Quilt with sashing inspired by Atkinson's Designs Slideshow.
 
I fussed over the narrow scrappy border...would it be too much?  Would it be so narrow that any little wobble would show?
Wish you could see the white fabric in person!  The design on it mimics the butterflies antennae!
 
What do you do when you realize you got carried away and made 4 extras blocks?
Make shams...King Sized Shams!  They're SOOOO Squishy!
 
And yeah...those shams are king sized and yeah that quilt weighs a ton!
I should've named it Butter-Zilla!
 
Oh well!  Go Big or Go Home!  Right?
 
~Stay Cool!
Nancie Anne
 

8 comments:

  1. Everything you did is beautiful! Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me smile too! Love the sashings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt turned out gorgeous! Love that you used the extra blocks for pillow shams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt! I love that sashing idea--I'll have to try to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic quilt! Yes, it was a big job, but so worth it! Your daughter's smile is so sweet! Congrats on a wonderful piece of art work!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful quilt & your daughters smile makes it all worthwhile :-D
    Congrats on a great finish !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's beautiful NN. If ever you feel like making another one ....

    ReplyDelete