Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Quilting In The Garden~Part One

Little Sunflower by my driveway...

Chris: A while ago I asked John Clarke to give us a talk here at Knapely WI. Annie asked me to read it to you here tonight, and this is what he wrote: "The flowers of Yorkshire are like the women of Yorkshire. Every stage of their growth has its own beauty, but the last phase is always the most glorious. Then very quickly they all go to seed."
(laughter)

Chris: "Which makes it ironic my favourite flower isn't even indigenous to the British Isles, let alone Yorkshire. I don't think there's anything on this planet that more trumpets life than the sunflower. For me that's because of the reason behind its name. Not because it looks like the sun but because it follows the sun. During the course of the day, the head tracks the journey of the sun across the sky. A satellite dish for sunshine. Wherever light is, no matter how weak, these flowers will find it. And that's such an admirable thing. And such a lesson in life."
                                                                                 quoted from the movie, Calendar Girls
 
For some odd reason, I've had the strongest urge to plug Calendar Girls into my DVD player since our return from California...can't imagine what has brought this on!

 
The day following our monumental trip was also Sunday, the last day of Quilting In The Garden at Alden Lane Nursery in Livermore.  We decided that rather than pushing to get there early, we'd take our time and let Lynn & Sue know when we got to the nursery.  It was around noon by the time we traveled south from Sacramento and goofy me...I walked away from the truck without having put Lynns phone number in my pocket or in my cell phone.  We deduced that, Sue & Lynn were likely already "Quilt Showed Out" so rather than trudging back to get the phone number we just started enjoying the show and decided we'd call afterward. 
Other than numerous happy colorbox quilts by featured quilter Sandy Klop, designer of American Jane quilts, that happily waved at us upon our arrival, was this little gentleman who immediately struck our fancy!
He followed us home...
and then there was my annual t-shirt purchase...too stinkin' cute!
and then there were these little dears...
The two busy little workers on the left I've named Lovely Lynn & Mr. Joe,
The little one paddling across the pond to visit is Sweet Sue.
Other than the t-shirt...this is the only quilty thing I purchased...
other than raffle tickets!
for...


 
The American Jane quilt collection was a huge presence in the show...and they are so easily recognizable in their theme and color value...a few favorites...
Happy & Bright!

My pattern pick

 Vintage Children

Oh My Stars & Garters!

 Atypical American Jane...I love blue & yellow

 Parchesi?????

 Other than the chickens this reminds me of the fire fighters emblem...love it...shoulda bought it!

free in the breezes...

Quack, Quack, Waddle Waddle!

Welcome the the show...Cock-a Doodle Doo!

 Noah's Ark...near & dear and such wonderful intricate whimsical animals...

Anyone want to play a game???

One of the happiest little Dresden quilts I've ever met!

 Fill in the blanks...just the read is a giggle...isn't this the basis of all good stories?  It's kinda like, here's your soup base...now just throw in whatever is leftover in the fridge!
 
Speaking of Faerie Tales...would this not be the perfect setting for a production of
Hansel & Gretel?
 
 
And then there were others...
A little Alex Anderson

 Pretties...

Birds Eye View of the Hot Air Balloon

Mr. Joe was said to be downtown at the car show...I'm not so sure...white whiskers...hmmm

colorific!

I'm never drawn to 30's prints until I fall in love with them in a simple setting like this...so clean and fresh!

I twisted Quilty Buddy's arm into purchasing this kit for herself not long ago!
She'd hemmed & hawed long enough!!!

 Sunshine in The Garden!

Happy Squiggles!

Hankie Anyone?

No Garden is complete without a Faerie...

 I just Wuvs de Snowmans!

Father Christmas

 Everybody loves HocusPocusville!


I would love to attend Lynns class to make this Maple Leaf Quilt...except I'd probably have to sit in the corner before the day was over...

9 Patch Basket Bands...so cool!

 The Sky Is Falling!

I keep getting closer & closer to making this Buggy Barn Quilt!
 
and then there were these familiar looking quilts made with patterns by some designer named Lynn Wilder who has a thing for Oaks...and the perfume that emits from the oak barrels that her husband pops open to make wonderful things from...
Madrigal by Sew'n Wild Oaks

Buttonwood by Sew'n Wild Oaks

Country Charmer pattern by Sew'n Wild Oaks
 
Is that enough sensory overload for today? 
I'm not done yet...stay tuned...
 
Nancie Anne~
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. My favorite quilt is the one with a light background and circular looking stars. Number 168 is what the tag says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having now paddled my way back across the ocean, and recovered from jetlag (sort of), I enjoyed your pics of the show, thanks.

    ReplyDelete